Founded in 2007 by professional snowboarder Jeremy Jones, POW has since grown to include other athletes, outdoor enthusiasts, resorts, and outdoor companies. POW's network has grown to include over 130,000 supporters and has operations locations in 9 countries, including the United States, France, Austria, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, and the U.K.
Protect our Winters has a Board of Directors whose members are:
- Conrad Anker: Professional Mountaineer, The North Face
- Winston Binch: Deutsch North America
- Donna Carpenter: Burton Snowboards
- Chris Davenport: Professional Skier
- Jamie Mcjunkin: Madrone Capital Partners
- Naomi Oreskes: Harvard University
- Micah Ragland: Walmart
- Auden Schendler (Chairman): Aspen Skiing Company
- Rob Webb: Liftopia
The organization also has a staff at their headquarters in Colorado, a science alliance for climate and environmental science, and a riders alliance to support professional athletes in environmental activism.